Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

In this case, the editor is actually Adobe Illustrator, and the letters are the glyphs themselves. I have long been a fan of script typography and whimsical period design featuring fancy filigree. Typefaces like Poem Script Pro and Sloop represent the awesome calligraphic style. I'm also infatuated with foundries and designers like House Industries and James T Edmondson. There are hundreds more out there and I'm doing my best to collect them into my Pinterest page now.

Here's an example of the people doing this amazing work. Max Goldt shows us how it's done.



Now I'm no where near the abilities of the amazing artists that craft these pieces of art, but I've always been fascinated with how something works or is done. Put my curiosity and love for the style together and you get the desire to try this hand lettering thing for myself.

I've quickly realized that the finer details found in Poem and Sloop are not coming too easy to me, so I'm starting basic with somewhat of a "signwritters" look. I'm working from type specimens that I like the flow of and then shaping the letters after that.
My first go was an "M".

M_in-progress1
It still needs some work and I'm not crazy about the tail. I think it's a bit too chunky for the rest of the weight of the strokes. I'll work on that!

Because I love this style so much, I've started to work on re-branding the blog here. I'm in the process of creating the letters for a new Threedown logo and I feel like I'm getting close to something acceptable.

in-progress1

I'm sure there's a better way of doing this, but I've always had problems with people saying this is how you "have" to do something. You don't learn a lot from that other than memorization. That's what computers are for.

I hope to launch the re-brand some time in the new year. Perhaps I'll throw a party to celebrate! Anyway, I hope this is just the beginning of my exploration of such an awesome art form. I'll be sure to post more samples as I try new things out or learn new techniques. Oh, and feel free to send me feedback too. As I stated before, I have really no idea what I'm doing so any criticism is welcomed at this point!

No comments:

Copyright Matt Stoffel. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.
© Threedown - Matt Stoffel. Developed by ThemeShine.
×

Latest Posts

Blog Archive

Tweets

Follow Me